* RALLY: February 15th, NOON at Pigeon Park (Carrall and Hastings, Downtown Eastside of Vancouver, Coast Salish Territories).
Rally with all our neighbours and supporters. Organized by DTES Women Centre Power of Women Group, with over 60 endorsing groups. Food will be served. For more information email email@example.com, or call 778 885 0040
* SUPPORT the grassroots, autonomous “Olympic Tent Village”. Endorsed by Streams of Justice
Stay the evening, night, and/or morning after the rally to protect the Tent Village, especially the first 24-72 hours. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604-253-1782
The upcoming 2010 Winter Olympics has escalated the homelessness crisis in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside and the Greater Vancouver area. Since the Olympic bid, homelessness has nearly tripled in the GVRD, while real estate and condominium development in the Downtown Eastside is outpacing social housing by a rate of 3:1. Meanwhile, a heightened police presence has further criminalized those living in extreme material poverty in the poorest postal code in Canada.
With the eyes of the world on Vancouver, residents of the Downtown Eastside and our supporters will be taking the streets to affirm our call for justice and dignity. We want:
1. Real action to end homelessness now!
2. End condo development and displacement in the Downtown Eastside
3. End discriminatory ticketing, police harassment, and all forms of criminalization of poverty.
No more empty talk, no more empty lots.